Friday, October 9, 2009

Chapter 4 - Understanding Jesus' Death

Understanding Jesus' death - HA! Maybe one day, but not while I run the earth and watch the sky!

It's strange that a text book could take one through a set of emotions, but that's what Drane did with me in this chapter. Lately, the thoughts of Christ's betrayal, trial, and crucifixion have been leaving me feeling upset - maybe low, humble, or sad. I find my feelings hard to explain, but I can tell you that I feel bothered by the day Jesus paid a price I should have.

Drane excellently points out that all our knowledge still leaves us shy of the complete understanding of the events of Calvary. But I don't really agree with him that the best rationale we can achieve is that of figure, or allegory. Have you ever heard it said that the Old Testament is the New Testament concealed, and the New Testament is the Old Testament revealed? Well - that's how I try and look at this time at the cross. I appreciate Drane examining New Testament writers as they wrestle with the crucifixion, but to avoid the Old Testament in this discussion, seems to avoid the point of Christ's work.

Now, I'm no OT scholar - so please don't expect a treatise on OT Christology, but I think I can at least begin a discussion about Jesus' sacrificial work on the cross. As I think of where to start, I remember that Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law and the prophets (Matt. 5:17). I don't know everything He meant in that, but surely He was pointing at what we call the Old Testament. And then I remember that Jesus knew the things that had to come (Mark 8:29-31; Mark 10:32-34; John 7:33-36; others). It just seems like Jesus knew what had been written of Him before, and why He had come.

Drane tries to partially explain away the sacrificial aspects of Jesus' crucifixion by saying that God would have to be a blood-thirsty despot with a "perverted sense of justice and moral responsibily," (p.86) and a "harsh and unbending demand for justice." (ibid.) But he does this by asking us to consider God's perfect Law and justice with our flawed and sinful understanding of those same aspects in human their human forms. That's where things get a little loose for me. I won't get too deep into this, but there are two OT verses/passages that have framed my thoughts on this subject for some time.

First - I don't really have to understand everything about God's version of justice, but I do know that He will not have sin in His presence. The prophet Habakkuk put it this way: "Your eyes are too pure to behold evil, and you cannot look on wrongdoing." (Habakkuk 1:13; NRSV) This tells me that unless there is something done to somehow cover or omit my sin, I cannot possible come into the presence of sin (never mind Leviticus 16).

The other passage from the prophets comes from Isaiah. To me, and I know to many others, it speaks of God's intention to relieve those who will come to Him of their burden. I won't put it all here, but the passage is sometimes referred to as the "Song of the Suffering Servant" (Isa. 52:13-53:12). I know there are other interpretations of what this passage means - but I think it points directly to Jesus and His work on the cross.

Before I hang up on this call - I just want to remind ye, while Isaiah is still fresh in your mind, that Jesus spake onto His disciples and said, "Therefore doth my Father love Me, because I lay down My life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have the power to lay it down, and I have the power to take it again. This commandment I received of My Father." (John 10:17-18; KJV)

3 comments:

  1. I too think that is was important that Jesus willingly gave his life. And that God cannot have sin in His Presence, as much I don't like that Jesus had to die for my sins, I think this helps us to understand that we can't get to God by ourselves, we have to depend on Jesus and his sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said "But I don't really agree with him that the best rationale we can achieve is that of figure, or allegory"
    I don't think this is what Drane is saying— rather I think that he is giving you a list of ways Jesus' death was talked about but they are all ultimately analogies or allegories and thus not perfect. Jesus' death was of such monumental significance that we need multiple analogies and metaphors to explain it.
    I never thought of the OT thing, but I do agree with you Paul, this is a bit of an omission on his part. When the NT writers sought to explain Jesus' death, they used OT examples and comparisons too. We'll talk about some of these in class the next semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate how you read thoughtfully and critically, Paul.

    I agree that allegories are hardly adequate to describe what Jesus did for all of us on the cross. However, Jesus had to use stories to explain many of his teachings to people could even begin to understand - so when Drane talks about Jesus being an example, a sacrifice, a ransom etc., we can maybe catch a glimpse of understanding - although are looking through the glass darkly.

    The OT God of justice, has been satisfied through the death of Christ - and so now, as it says in Galatians 4:5 "God sent him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that he could adopt us as his very own children"(NLT) So Drane's family image really hits home with me. And I love the image of Jesus being my brother in Hebrews 2:11 "So now Jesus and the ones he makes holy have the same Father. That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call them his brothers and sisters."

    So, as Sister Sledge said way back in '79 - because of Christ "We are family...I got all my sisters (and brothers) with me".

    ReplyDelete